Once you have found a product that you would like to use to combat skin aging, there are 6 things that you can do to really maximize and complement the product.
1) Be Sun Safe. Sunscreen, hats, shade…you know the drill. As we mentioned in an earlier post, UVA rays is quite possible THE main contributor to skin aging. So if you aren’t protecting your skin from UV rays (the sun OR tanning beds), then you are fighting against your own efforts. It is very important to use sun protection as part of your anti-aging skincare regime because:
*Several of the active ingredients in anti-aging products may make your skin more sensitive to UV rays, increasing the likelihood of sunburn or general skin damage
*Some key ingredients break down when exposed to UV rays, making them ineffective
*Sun damage encourages your skin to produce melanin, which is the opposite of what you want if you are trying to fade dark spots and even out your skin tone
2) Follow the directions. This may seem obvious, but many people really do not follow the given directions. If the bottle says to apply at night, that’s likely to help the product to work without the sun interfering (see point above) or to boost the skin’s natural nightly rejuvenation, so apply it at night! If you have a system of products and the instructions say to wait 15 minutes before doing the next step, don’t wait 2 and say “close enough.” The companies have researched how long it takes for a product to absorb or activate, and the product(s) may not work effectively if you take short cuts here. The instructions may also have important information on any ingredients to avoid while using the products.
3) Unless otherwise advised, apply the serum or cream after cleansing (or after using a toner, if desired) but before the moisturizer. This allows a greater amount of the ingredients to penetrate the skin more deeply, then get sealed in with the moisturizer. If your skin is irritated by the product, ask your dermatologist if OK to continue. If so, you may want to apply the serum after the moisturizer. Less of the ingredient will be absorbed so the product may not be as effective, but there will be less irritation.
4) Moisturize! Moisturizer seals moisture into your skin which reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. In that way, it complements the rest of your anti-aging regime.
5) Have patience. The best products take time to work, so be wary of any product promising quick overnight results. Often times, anti-aging serums work gradually and may take 2 months or more to show the best result. It is very common for people to give a cream a week then return it, but the vast majority of people will not see results that soon, so stick with it!
6) Continue on! Another thing people often do is stop using a product once their skin looks better. While some products may not need to be continued, most anti-aging creams & serums must be continually used in order to keep the skin looking young. If you discontinue the product, the skin will gradually revert back to the way it was over the next few weeks then you’ll end up restarting from zero.